THE QUINTE LOYALISTS 0F 1784. By P. H. BRYCE, M.A., M.D.It is desirable to recall a few of the events of the American Revolution leading up to the exile of the "Early Loyalists" as refugees to Canada. The battle of Lexington was fought near Boston April 19, 1775, and the news of it was swiftly carried to New Haven and New York, thence to Maryland, to Virginia and the Carolinas, and soon the thirteen British American provinces were aflame with rebellion. An early attack on Fort Ticonderoga was made by a small rebel force under Ethan Allen on May 10th and the cannon and stores there were captured. Seizing a sloop, Benedict Arnold sailed north and similarly captured the small garrison fort at St. John's on the Richelieu; but learning that Prescott was marching to reinforce it he carried away his booty and retired to his base. In May a "Sons of Liberty" assemblage on the Mohawk was dispersed by Col. Guy Johnson, Superintendent of Indian Affairs, but in June he was advised to retire up the Mohawk to Oswego and thence with some 200 Mohawks and others descended to Montreal to consult with Sir Guy Carleton, Governor of Canada. In September General Montgomery advanced with an army against the forts of the Richelieu and reached La Prairie in October, where Sir Guy Carleton had come from Quebec, hoping to rally the French habitants to defend their own country. In this he was disappointed and barely escaped on November 13 to Quebec, where he arrived four days after General Arnold had reached Point Levis with his army from the Kennebec. Montgomery advanced there and the joint attack with Arnold of December 31st failed and Montgomery was killed. In June, 1776, Governor Carleton advanced to Montreal with a large force, General Arnold retreated rapidly up the Richelieu and "Canada was freed from further attacks." Sir John Johnson, who had remained at Johnson Hall on the Mohawk as a neutral, was so harassed by a force under Nicholas Herkimer, billeted during the winter of 1775-6 in Johnstown nearby, that he quietly escaped with a party of Highland tenants and Palatine Germans through the foothills of the Adirondacks, and led by Mohawk guides reached the St. Regis Village of Mohawks, descending the Racquette River to await the advance up the St. Lawrence of General Carleton. In July Sir John met Sir Guy Carleton and offered his services to raise a regiment of Loyalists from his Mohawk estates. The commission was granted, and soon the first battalion of the Royal Regiment of New York was organized. In 1781 its 2nd Battalion was formed, and together these, when disbanded, made 1462 Loyalists, of whom the first battalion with their families were to become the first settlers in upper Canada, on the St. Lawrence above the Longueuil Seigniory, from Pointe au Baudet. But other bands of Loyalists had been forced to escape from Albany, from the insults, boycotting and persecution of the "Minute Men" and "Committees of Safety," going north during 1775 and 1776 when Sir Guy Carleton provided for their temporary care at St. Johns, Chambly, Sorel, and Montreal. In the summer of 1776 Carleton had followed the retreating army of Arnold up the Richelieu, built a fleet of vessels and batteaux on Lake Champlain, and destroyed Arnold's vessels, taking Crown Point and Ticonderoga. As the season was advanced he withdrew to Isle-aux-Noix and the Richelieu, while General Burgoyne, who was with him, returned to England, and, as we know, was appointed general of the expedition, in the campaign of 1777, when he was to advance with an army of good men across Lake Champlain, descend the Upper Hudson and join at Albany Sir Henry Clinton from New York, and General St. Leger, who was to descend the Mohawk after defeating the enemy there. As Burgoyne went south the farmers of the lands on the Lake and Upper Hudson joined what seemed a victorious army, and we find corps after corps enlisted for ninety days or for the campaign, most of whom when Burgoyne surrendered at Saratoga made a convenient retreat by descending the Richelieu and becoming additions to garrisons there, and as far as Lachine and Pointe Claire on Lake St. Louis. The Haldimand Papers in the Canadian Archives at Ottawa are volumes in which the names are given of those Loyalists who served or were on the muster roll and provision lists, receiving pay and provisions. These volumes supply the most minute information regarding the places whence the Loyalists came, and often what their position had been before the Revolution. As men from all of these corps found their way in 1783-4-5 to the Bay of Quinté district, we must refer to the corps in more detail and try to follow them to their later locations. Among the more interesting and notable of these was Richard Cartwright, Sr., who had been from 1756 the postmaster of Albany, who had married a Dutch lady there, and whose son of eighteen got, through the family connection, a pass in 1777 through the rebel lines and reached his sister married to a British officer in the garrison at Niagara. There he became the secretary of Col. John Butler and later was the Hon. Richard Cartwright, Judge and member of the Legislative Council of Upper Canada. Richard, Senior, was treated honorably but was marched to the border in 1777 and told to go, and afterward we find his name on the paylist of unincorporated Loyalists receiving £14 and living allowances. Major Daniel McAlpine, a retired officer of the 60th Regiment, living at Saratoga, was imprisoned, his house sacked and his wife taken to Albany. He escaped with a party in 1777 through the Jessup plantation, became Major of a corps of older Loyalists placed on barrack duty, and died in 1780. Other civilians who had heen outspoken were similarly treated and mostly settled at St. Johns and about Montreal, a few names of whom appear on the Bay of Quinté later as Mathias Rose; but the active Loyalists who joined Burgoyne were with their families still more numerous. The settlements above Albany on the Hudson were then mostly quite recent. Some colonists had come into Vermont by the Hoosac Pass from New England, but most of them had gone up from the lower counties on the Hudson or were recent emigrants from Scotland or Ireland and had received grants. Some had come in from Connecticut as land speculators, had got considerable tracts and had sold or leased their lands to men who mostly followed to the war their landlords, who were squires and justices of the peace. Such men were Ebenezer and Edward Jessup, Isaac Man and others, and they are spoken of as men of substance and influence in the records. Squire Ebenezer Jessup who collected a corps, as had also his brother Edward, brought them to Canada in 1777; we find them incorporated and doing duty at different posts, and in 1781 they were enlisted with men of other corps under Major Edward Jessup as the King's Loyal American Rangers with a distinctive uniform. The full regiment was not completed, but in 1784 the 2nd Battalion was located in Ernesttown Township, on the Bay of Quinté. At the same time we find Captain John McKay organizing, with Hugh Munro, a corps of "Battoe" men, enlisted for a term of ninety days or for the campaign in Burgoyne's army in the summer of 1777. They were engaged in the difficult and dangerous task of bringing supplies down the shallow Hudson in batteaux, and were subjected to attacks from both shores, in one of which Captain McKay was killed. Peter Vanalstine was similarly engaged with his corps as batteaux men, while Capt. Adams also raised a corps of Rangers, enlisted 9 August, 1777, attached to Burgoyne's army. Another notable group with Burgoyne was Col. John Peters's corps of Queen's Loyal Rangers, whom we find later on the pay lists at St. Johns and afterwards incorporated in Jessup's Battalion. Perhaps a yet more notable corps was that of Robert Roger's Scouts, organized first for Sir Henry Clinton as independent companies acting as emergency units. The first was enlisted outside of New York in 1776 for a few months, but they were disbanded, and out of these Capt. Simcoe formed what became later the Queen's Rangers operating in Virginia. Rogers formed his later corps of scouts after October, 1778; he is called Lieut.-Col. of the Queen's American Rangers, who came to Canada and were stationed on the Richelieu and did special scout duty until the end of the war. When the British army headquarters were established in New York City in 1776, similar corps of Loyalists were formed from outside districts, such as Skinner's Associated Loyalists of New Jersey, and less clearly Capt. Grass' corps which he had collected. The latter, led by him as a party in the ship Camel, came in August, 1783, to Quebec, and were sent thence to Sorel Seigniory, which Haldimand had purchased in 1781 as a centre for refugees, surveying the town in 1783 into acre lots, building the fort and laying out parts of the seigniory not already occupied by tenants into farms of 60 acres each. Major Vanalstine's men came there by ship at the same time, (in the autumn of 1783), since we find them as one of the parties sent to the Quinté survey in July, 1784. It is probable that a few of Skinner's and other corps came at the same time to Sorel. Such were the chief corps organized in New York; but another important Loyalist group was formed by Colonel Allan MacLean in 1775, under an imperial commission which authorized him to form a regiment, gazetted later as the "Royal Highland Emigrants" afterwards the 84th Regiment of Foot. He went rapidly through the Highland settlements of the Carolinas in the summer of 1775, thence to the Johnson plantations on the Mohawk, and enlisted recruits on the promise of land grants in the provinces, when the rebellion was crushed. These were assembled in Quebec along with the old Highland soldiers of Fraser's Regiment from the Lower St. Lawrence, and defended it during the siege of 1775-6. Later they were employed at the upper posts, where in 1783 we find companies of them at Oswego, Carleton Island and Niagara under Brig.-General Allan MacLean, Major Harris and Major Ross. There had always been regular troops under their own officers at the several posts from Quebec to Niagara and Detroit, so in the autumn of 1783 when General Fred. Haldimand had instructed Major Samuel Holland, Surveyor-General, to examine Cataraqui Fort and district, as a location for disbanded soldiers, he is found making a preliminary report of work, which Major Ross, the famous raider of the Mohawk in 1781, now stationed at Oswego, is ordered to carry out. Ross' reports tell of the definite location of the fort on Point Henry, and of Captain Justus Sherwood's survey of the shores of the Bay of Quinté in the autumn of 1783, while Assistant Surveyor General John Collins made the first township surveys, beginning with Kingston, six miles square, then later Ernesttown and the others west with divisions largely based on the suggestions in Sherwood's report. Another centre of Loyalists was Fort Niagara, which several companies of Highland Emigrants were now holding under Brig.-General MacLean, with old Col. John Butler of Butler's Rangers, who as an officer of the Indian Department had steadily defended the Post and organized raids into the Mohawk and Susquehanna during the eight years of the Revolution, and had already in 1781 erected barracks on the Canada side and placed refugees in the rich lands there to begin the settlement of Niagara, which was the first in Upper Canada, except the French settlement on the Detroit. Turning now to the particular settlements on the Bay of Quinté, the report of Solomon Johns, a Mohawk scout and Lieut. of the King's Royal Regiment of New York, bearing date October 19, 1783, is included in Captain Justus Sherwood's report of the territory, a day's march inland from the De Mutch House, located on the north shore of the Bay of Quinté. The report states that he set out from that house, marched north two miles and struck a large river that came from the northeast and ran to the southwest. "We march up the river two miles and met a pair of falls in river, we judged them 8 feet high." Thence he explored eastward until he arrived at Cataraqui. From the energy shown in the surveys we find that the front of the townships on both sides of the Bay were examined and their boundaries roughly defined by the summer of 1784. By July 5, 1784, the detachments of different corps had reached Cataraqui, since a memorial, signed by seventeen officers and dated 7th July, protested against the proposed reduction by Gen. Haldimand of the amount of rations to two-thirds until the 1st of May, 1785, and thereafter to one-third to May, 1786. Captain Thos. Gummersall, who sent the memorial to Col. Johnson, states: "I firmly believe from the present temper of the people that if His Excellency the commander-in-chief does not grant them the prayer of the enclosed memorialists, very few indeed will stay." Sharon Starkey, firstname.lastname@example.org has made note of corrections required to the above text:
"Turning now to the particular settlements on the Bay of Quinte, the report of Solomon Johns, a Mohawk scout and Lieut. of the King's Royal Regiment of New York, bearing date October 19, 1783, is included in Captain Justus Sherwood's report of the territory, a day's march inland from the DeMutch House, located on the north shore of the Bay of Quinte".
The Lieutenant Solomon Johns on this survey with Capt. Sherwood was in the 2nd company of the King's Rangers, and was not the Mohawk scout John Deseronto, who took on the name of Solomon John (no 's') and was later a captain.
The reference for this particular survey is in the PAC Haldimand Papers, B169 pp. 15-30, which is Capt. Sherwood's journal, beginning on Sept. 19, 1783, in which pp. 26-8 contain Lieutenant Johns' own report while exploring with a small party.
I have not read this reference myself, but have taken it from the book "The King's Men" by Mary Beacock Fryer. In her book "Buckskin Pimpernell, the Exploits of Justus Sherwood, Loyalist Spy" pp. 192 she details the situation further. "By September 19, Justus [Sherwood] was in Montreal with a party that consisted of Lieutenant Solomon Johns, King's Rangers, with two privates from that corps, and Ensign Elijah Bothum and seven privates from the Loyal Rangers. The report describing their journey of exploration was entitled 'Captn Sherwood's Journal from Montreal to Lake Ontario, noting the Quality of the Land from the West end of Lake St. Francis to the Bay Kenty'."
Lt. Solomon Johns is listed in the officers of the 2nd company of the King's Rangers in the "Rolls of the Provincial (Loyalist) Corps, Canadian Command American Revolutionary Period".
As a gr-gr-gr-gr-granddaughter of Lt. Solomon Johns I can tell you that he was [not a Mohawk, but] of Welsh descent born in Connecticut. He was a farmer in Clarendon, Vermont prior to the American Revolution and joined the loyalist cause early on. He is noted as being with Capt. Justus Sherwood in 1778 on an expedition, led by Major Christopher Carleton, against several settlements along the east side of Lake Champlain, in Vermont Territory.
Lt. Solomon Johns settled in New Oswegatchie in 1784 with the men of the Loyal Rangers, as did William Buell and the Breakenridge brothers, James and David, all of the King's Rangers. Sadly Solomon died in 1786 from a falling tree, presumably while clearing his land in Elizabethtown, leaving his widow and 3 small sons. I descend from his eldest son, David Bucklin Johns.
In the memorial are the signatures and the ranks of officers whose names appeared in army provision lists from 1776 onward: Edward Jessup, Major; James Rogers, L.M.R.; Thos. Gummersall, Capt. K.R.R.N.Y. (2nd Batt.); G. Baron Reitzenstein; H. Spencer, Lieut. K.R.R.N.Y.; J. Thompson, Ensign 2nd Batt. K.R.R.N.Y.; William McKay, Lieutenant; William Fraser, Adjutant 2nd Batt. K.R.R.N.Y.; G. Hogan, Lieut. of Indian Dept; John Monier, late commissary and postmaster; W. R. Crawford, Capt. K.R.R.N .Y.; Maw Dies, Quartermaster 2nd Batt.; John Howard, Lieut., 2nd Batt.; T. Ferguson, Lieut., K.R.R.N.Y.; James McDonell, Capt., K.R.R.N.Y.; Michael Grass, Captain; John Stuart, Capt., 2nd Batt. K.R.R. Sir John Johnson transmitted a copy of the above memorial of August 1, 1784, to Military Sec'y Rose. In it are found the names of men from the Upper Hudson Corps, from the German Regiments, but most are from Sir John Johnson's regiment from the Mohawk and others from the Hudson, who had joined Sir John's 2nd Battn., with Rev. John Stuart from the Mohawk as chaplain. Another important item gives an estimate of the quantity of land required for Loyalists and disbanded regiments: 84th Regt 77,975 1st Batt. K.R.R.N.Y 88,650 2nd " " 59,432 Loyal Rangers 79,579 Col. Butler's R 86,000 King's Rangers 34,837...455,673 exclusive of unincorporated (21 Seignieurys at 23,040 acres) In September, 1783, Major Ross was sent from Oswego by Gen. Haldimand to erect the fort at Cataraqui and to draw men from the troops stationed at Oswego and Carlton Island to labor there. On the pay lists of September 15, 1783, are the names of the corps at those places. These were men of the Royal Artillery, the 8th, 24th, 34th, and 84th regiments, which including officers, non-coms, and privates, were in all 486. Major Ross reported amongst those who came from Carleton Island, Mary (Molly) Brant with her daughters Eliza, Margaret, Susannah and Magdalen Johnson, for whom Ross erected a house in Kingston. Other names on the provision list were Capt. Crawford, Wm. Lamb, Sarah McGinn, Sarah Storney, C.M. Parlow, Alex Fisher, Jos. Franklin, John Franklin, Robt. McCaulay, Dan. McMillan, Jos. Westley, Donald McDonnel and Alex McDonnel. The non-coms and privates of the "Highland Emigrants" were disbanded here in 1784 and we find some of their names among the settlers of the Quinté District. In a return of Loyalists who had arrived at Sorel from New York on August 28, 1783, the position of Capt. Michael Grass regarding Kingston Township is made clear. He is stated to have told Gen. Guy Carleton in New York that he had been a prisoner in Cataraqui in 1755-6, and that it was a fine country. He was told to collect a shipload of Loyalists, which was sent to Quebec and thence to Montreal. This return of Loyalists at Sorel of August 28, 1783, gives the following: Capt. Michael Grass, Corps, 27 men, total with families 74 Capt. Peter Ruttan Corps, 24 men do 73 Capt. Thomas Dorsey, 20 men do 48 Capt. Dan. McGivin 7 men do 19 Capt. John Everett 9 men do 25 Capt. Gale 9 men do 21 Capt. Mabee 10 men do 39 Capt. Alex. White 20 men do 70 Total 369 Sir John Johnson's muster, roll of July, 1784, of what is called Capt. Grass's party at Sorel, numbered 187, from which we infer that almost half of these had already become located in the Sorel district; furthermore we do not find any but Capt. Gale and Capt. Everett among the grantees in Kingston Township. Perhaps the most interesting lists are those of the men who enlisted early in 1776 and 1777 in the Lake Champlain and Upper Hudson campaigns. The first is Capt. Edward Jessup's Corps of Loyal American Rangers, enlisted Nov. 4, 1776, recruited by John Buel, Sergt. and Martin Kelly, corporal (both old soldiers) and enlisted for 82 days. The commissioned officers were Capt. Edward Jessup, Lieutenant Peter Drummond, Wm. Lawson and Wm. Snider, Ensigns. The men were: James Chambers Peter Maybe Amos More David Miller Thomas Barnes Capt. Ebenezer Jessup's Company: John McDonald Adam Earhart John Seely Ebenezer Earhart Daniel Robertson Simon do John McPherson John McDoule John Perry Ralph Spooner Ebenezer King Abraham Broom John Stiles Captain Jessup's Company: Captain Jonathan Jones' Company: Joseph Lane, Lieut. Francis Scott, Sergeant Daniel Jones, Ensign John Dickson, Corporal G. T. Butson, Ensign Mathias Rose A. Corrigan, Sergeant Daniel Rose G. Germain, Corporal Wm. Rogers Adam Waggoner John Williams Peter Carpenter Wm. Armstrong Jeremiah Storms Coralli Brisbin Herman Lee Jeremiah Myers John Lee Nicholas Avery Paul Corrogan Mortimer Steven Duncan Campbell John Avery Simon Shermann Peter Larue James Lee Pat. Corrigan Jeremiah Snider John Sanders Reuben Wood John Scott James Wilson Angus McCorm As Ebenezer Jessup was the older and a magistrate, he seems to have been specially recognized by Burgoyne in 1777, for on September 28, 1777, we find him attached to Brig. Fraser's Brigade in the monthly paylist of the King's Loyal Americans from August 7 to October 1, certified by Barry St. Leger to the President of the court at St. Johns. The total was 175 men (3 prisoners of the Rebels). Apparently Major Dan. McAlpine of Saratoga had escaped from gaol, as we flnd him with a Loyalist Corp's. These names are almost all new in the second enlistment: Donald McDonnel Wm. Perry Donald Robertson John McDougal Donald Swaney John Campbell Norman Morrison George Tuttle John O'Brien John Munro Eleazar Perkins Archibald Nicholson Geo. Campbell Andrew Beveridge John Saunders Abraham Vanhause Alex. Munro John McPherson Wm. Campbell Michael Carver And. McMillan John Larue Peter Gilchrist John Conklin John McLachlin John McKenny Alex. Cowan John Miller Alex. McKivsey The next corps' in the paylist of 1777 is that of Col. John Peters: Names Length of Service Philip Sentzer 1777-83 Ephrem Eyres 1777-80 Abram Coons 1777-80 Sergt. Ichabod Henley 1777-80 Levi Warner, N.Y. 1778-79 Returns of McAlpine's Corps for provisions 1777 to 1781: Capt. Thos. McKnight Peter Gillmore Wm. Saunders Charles Lowks John Winderf Stephen Boyce John Thomas John Smith John Conklin Eph. Corry Gabriel Valentine And. McNeal Abraham Ostrander John Caulbeck Abraham Hyalt Abra Boltin or Botten Joseph Little Tim Van Camp An interesting list is that of Burgoyne's men claiming back pay, September 27, 1783: Lieut.-Col. John Peters, Major Zadok Wright, Capts. Justus Sherwood, Jeremiah French, Brett Bacheldor, Francis Hyatt. David McFall was made a prisoner August 16, 1777, at Bennington. Capt. Simeon Coval was a captain in the corps called Queen's Loyal Rangers and came to Canada in 1777, but with Carleton's permit he returned to New York. The memorial states he joined Burgoyne near Fort Edward in August, 1777, with 56 men; was attached to the corps that was formerly Col. John Peters', and came to Canada with Col. Peters by order of Burgoyne. In the spring of 1778, he went to New York to recruit for another corps of Col. Peters (Queen's Loyal Rangers). He could not recruit but obtained pay from Sir Henry Clinton in the September list. He claimed pay for his term as an officer of Peters's Corps. The following were prisoners of Jessup's Corps from 1777 to 1782: Lewis Hix John Scott Horminus Lee Jacob Diamond John Griffen Matthias Rose Wm. Rogers Hendry Normand James Kelsey Sgt. Ralph Spooner of the Loyal Rangers in 1777. Out of these several lists came the settlers of the Bay of Quinté District. Begun in the survey of 1783, the settlements from Kingston to Bout du Lac, or Trenton, presented probably more attractions to these refugees than would any other section and included a series of townships with no part more than perhaps ten miles from some waterfront. In the Land Books of Quebec, prepared in 1780 under the direction of Lord Dorchester, are the complete lists of the settlers in each township from 1784 to 1790, and this article might naturally conclude with all the names of persons on the lists who were located in 1784; but it may be sufficient to give the names found on concessions I and II, since most of these are repeated with other grants on the rear concessions. It may be remembered that under Carleton's regulation of 1788, the amount of a land grant was from 5000 acres for a field officer to 300 for a private, so while the waterfront grants were usually not more than 200 acres, officers are found later selecting their further grants in the rear of the townships, often distant some miles from their first locations. Turning then to Kingston, or Township No. 1, which was only six miles square, we find here, as in the upper St. Lawrence grants, an officer placed on lot No. 1, Con. 1, and another on lot 25, the westerly limit. These were Capt. Jos. Hackman and Capt. Michael Grass. Next to Grass came Rev. John Stuart, Loyalist Clergyman from the Mohawk; then Lieuts'. Ellerbeck, Galloway, Moore, Charles Grass, Capt. Maguire, Lieut. Atkinson, Robt. Van Alstine, Lieut. Lewis Kotté, Capt. Everett and Capt. Auser. On the 2nd concession were John Spiers, Ben Vancurat, Sergt. D. Purdy, John Connon, Mr. McCarty, Chris. Myers, Leo R. Graham, Richard Hall, Matthew Burnett and Capt. Gale. In Ernestown Township, (No. 2), the entries include the familiar names of Jessups' King's Royal A.R. of the 2nd Batt. Here, similarly, we also find officers placed on the east and west lots, as Capt. Wm. Fraser, Capt. Myers, Lieut. Dusenbury, Lieut. Bert; then Corps. Charles and Shipley, David Dulmage, H. Conkright, Jeptha Hawley, Henry Davey, John Lindsay, John Conklin, Lieut. John Robins, Sergt. Williams, and on lot 18 the mill built by Government at Mt. New Haven. Lieut. Best, John Snider, Jas. Huffman, Lieut. Parrot, Moses Crankshaw, Sergt. Taylor, Robt. Clark, Matthew Rose, Tim Porter, Wm. Fairfield, Edward Frost, Cap. W. Johnston (interpreter). On the 2nd con. were many of the first, but others as Sergt. Washburn, Asa Hough, Peter Vanalstine, Cris Abram, Corpls. Switzer and Finkle, Jake Hesse, Petter Daly, Tim Poste, James Amers, Martin Hover*, Russell Pitman and Dan Kerr. By 1790 there were 188 distinct grantees and all the lots of the seven concessions had practically been taken up. The Millhaven mill made settlement very desirable in the locality. *[I have had correspondence with a researcher who feels this name should be STOVER, and one should consider this. bmartin] Fredericksburg Township No. 3: This township was given to Col. Robert Rogers' Scouts. The first names were mostly British and included on the first concession, Capt. T. Anderson, Sergt. Annesley, Richard Albury, Wm. Bell, Elijah Barclay, Ashel Bradshaw, Abram Barber, Jacob Birch, Sergt. Alex. Clark, Corp. Christy, Capt Crawford, Lemuel Caswall, Sergt. Cobham, Hugh Campbell, John Collins, Garrett Dingman, John Defoe, John Dinand, Adjt. Fraser, Moses Poster, T. Ferguson, Corp. Fairchild, T. Terrington, Ben. Green, John Gardiner, Lieut. J. Howard, Thos. Howard, Sergt. Hurd, Nathan Harris, John Hunter, John Jones, Joe Kemp, Dan Lambert, S. Law, Sergt. Murdoff, Lieut. McCoy, J. W. Taggart, K. McPherson, John McArthur, Joe Marsh, Thos. Moreland, Allan McDonnell, Sergt. Nicholson, Seth Phillips, Wm. Pringle, Geo. Patterson, Dave Palmer, Michael Reid, Lieut Robertson, Thos. Radford and W. Shaw. In the second and other concessions were many German names, and a few Dutch as John Bleecker, John Climes, Sergt. Carscallen, Jacob Cooms, Corp. Clock, Matthew Dibs, M. Ryckman, P. Dogstrader, Valentine Detlor, G. Finkle, Peter Fike, John Grout, Abram Gravenstein, Jacob Duffman, Bruyn Huff, Phil Huffman, Joel Hough, James Keller, Wm. VanKoughnet, John Reister, Corp. Rombough, Geo. Roll, Tobias Stealey, Fred. Swartzeger, Luke Snider, Sergt. Scrambling, Lieut. Swarmahorn, Jonas and Tobias Vanalstine, Rudolf Vandicor, Sergt. D. Vanderheiden, Sergt. J. Weager, John Weister, Alse. Woodcock. In all there were 310 grantees, and all the lots were taken up by 1790. On Con. IV were officers, as Sergt. Hercules Clark on lot 12 and John and Luke Carscallen on Lots 11 and 12. On lot 1 Capts. Crawford and Gummersall had each 100 acres on Con. 1 and nearby were Corpl. Christy, Lieut. W. McKay on lot 6. Major James Rogers, brother of Robert, is on lot 6 on the 3rd concession, and Lieuts. Richard and Robertson were on the 5th. Adolphustown Township, No. 4. This is the remarkable peninsula which guards the entrance to the strait and Bay of Quinté proper, and it has long stood out prominently among the Loyalist settlements, not more on account of its location than because of its settlers. It was here that Major Peter Vanalstine's corps of New York batteau men were located by Sir John Johnson, which when mustered at Sorel in July, 1784, numbered in all 258 men. Owing to Hay Bay being in the rear, its survey was irregular, being at places but 3 miles across. Besides, a town plot was located on lots 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26. Owing to there being Fredericksburg "Additional", there were only 33 lots in the concession. On lots 31 to 33 on Con. 1 was placed Lieut. Vander Vort with 180 acres; Major Vanalstine on lots 26 and 27 with 370 acres adjoining the town plot. While to the east and adjoining Fredericksburg were James Schwarmahorn, Isaac Young, C. Petersen, John Baker, J. Hoover, Lieut. Rustin, J. Fitzgerald, J. Elleson, Conrad Vandusen, J. Rusk, Joe. Hofnagle. On the second concession were Conrad Vandusen, Capt. Maybee, John Hartman; Lieut Paul Trompour, Lieut. Phillip Dorland, John German, C. Driskle, Moses Dean, Tobias Ryckman, John Whitley, George Ruttan, James Thomas, Lieut Ben Clinch, Lieut. S. Tuffer, Gilbert Bogart, Cornelius Van Horn, John Sharp, and Lieut Vanord. On the 3rd Concession were James McMasters, Edward Staples and Nicholas Hagerman, Lieut. T. Huyck and Paul Huff. On the 4th Concession were William Clark, Albert Connell, Alex. Campbell, John Crusdel and Peter Vanskiver. In all, in 1790, there were five concessions and 77 grantees with many broken lots, but Major Vanalstine had only 770 acres there, M. Hagerman 350 and Scharmahorn 300. Marysburg Township, No. 5: It is across the narrow strait to the south, and had many of the same settlers. It is a long and narrow peninsula with one front on the strait and one on the lake. There was no special arrangement of officers on the corner lot, although Lieut. Moor Hoventon held the east point of 500 acres and next him, R. Ferguson, D. Cole, Capt. Ruttan; Matthew Benson, T. Goldsmith, German, Vandusen and Inglehart were also located there; while nearly all the other names are of those who had already grants in Adolphustown as Dulyea, Hofnagle, Ruttan, Clinch, Ryckman and Maybee. To the west of East Lake were Lieut. Thompson, Major James Rogers with 600 acres, Lieuts. Church and Spencer with 500 and Lieut Young and his brother with 500 each. On the 1st concession west of the carrying place, which divides Marysburg from Sophiasburg, were John and Owen Ritchie, Vandusen, Phillip Roblin, Ryckman, Dean Trompour, Vanhorn and Hagerman. The first surveys were based wholly on some local condition, as a small lake, or the Long Reach, so that rear lots often ran into each other; but in 1790 a through concession was surveyed from Green Point with 63 lots, and Green Point was reserved as a town plot. In all 142 claims had been taken by 1790. Ameliasburgh Township, No. 7, occupied the balance of the water front of Prince Edward County on the Bay of Quinté. By 1790 fifty grants had been made, the Lots in Con. 1 running up to 100. A few are new names and are found as Philip Pember, Jacob Wormley, Henry Brout, Asa Richardson, Bolton Evans, and Zenas Ross. Others, as Dingman, Pringle and Barnes we have met before. While this was practically the western limit of settlement we find it tended to follow the north shore, reached by the isthmus or carrying-place to the west, and we also see Portland, Camden, Windsor, Thurlow and Sydney Townships opened by 1790 with John Deseronto's settlement of Thyendenaga by 1790. Following the shore line eastward from Bout du Lac or End of the Bay we enter Sydney Township, No. 8, on the east of the Trent and extending to the Moira where Belleville is situated. Owing to the two great rivers Sydney was early surveyed on concessions 1 and 2. As usual we find names, found already, as on lot No. 1, now numbering from the west, as Thomas Dunn, Esq., then Lieut. Lewis Kotté, while following them were Wm. Marsh, John Mastin, Nicholas Hagerman, Hoverdon, Simmons, H. Finkle, Thos. Myers, George and Tobias Myers, Lieut. Dan Killen, John Seager, Dan. Conger, John Haviland, Stephen Gilbert, and Caleb and Samuel Birdeye Gilbert. Others were Lieut. Archibald McDonnell, Capt. Geo. Singleton, Zadoch and Zochiel Hawley and Archibald Fairfield. The same grantees were found on concession 2.
See also Randy Saylor's Quinte page at Randy Saylor: Family & Bay of Quinte Records