C. Dunbar has allowed me to present this information on the death and
life story of an early Ontario pioneer, her great-great-grandmother,
Mrs. Bridget Manion, nee Wolfe.

THE MOUNT FOREST CONFEDERATE Thursday, November 27, 1930 Published at Mount Forest, Ontario OBITUARY
MANION; At Cedarville, at the home of her son-in-law, Mr. Alex Kerr, Bridget Wolfe, widow of the late John Manion, aged 94 years, 10 months and 27 days.
The sympathy of this community is extended to Mrs. Alex Kerr Jr. in the loss of her mother, the late Mrs. Manion.
THE MOUNT FOREST CONFEDERATE Thursday, December 4, 1930, page 7 Mrs. John Manion
On Friday evening, November 21, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Alex Kerr, Cedarville, there passed away one of the very oldest residents of these parts in the person of Mrs. John Manion. She had reached the great age of almost 95 years. Her maiden name was Bridget Wolfe. On the following Monday her body was laid to rest in St. Patrick's Cemetery, Proton. The beautiful floral tributes and spiritual offerings showed the love and esteem in which she was held by her children and neighbors. Requiem High Mass was offered by the Rev. Father Callahan. The pallbearers were six grandsons: Vincent Hollis, Damascus; Martin and Lawrence Manion, West Luther; Uriah Manion, Minto; Phillip Hollis, Stratford and Glen Stock, Detroit. Mrs. Manion was the mother of fourteen children. Four predeceased her. The living are as follows: Mrs. Anna Byrne, San Francisco; Mrs. Ed Hollis, Stratford; Michael, Stratford; Mrs. Michael Brazill and Mrs. Frank Stock, Detroit; John of Alberta; Thomas of Saskatchewan; Patrick of West Luther; Mrs. Wm. Hollis of Coburg; and Mrs. Alex Kerr of Cedarville. There are 52 grandchildren and about 60 great grandchildren. Following is a story of her life as told by her to one of her grandchildren:
I was born in the County Limerick, Ireland in the year 1835. We lived in a great house along the River Shannon. From the garden wall we could sit and watch ships pass out bound for the Land of Promise, Plenty, and Peace, America. The sea used to fascinate me and the tides were always a source of wonder. I had seven brothers, four of them died before we left and the three remaining, the oldest, came to America with us. I was the only girl. My father came to America two years before my brothers and me. The Georgiana, the boat we sailed on, left the city of Limerick and landed at Quebec forty days later. A year later my older brother came here and was seven weeks on the Atlantic. We were giving up all hopes of ever seeing him again. When my father saw him coming down the road he did not recognize him. He said to mother, "there is a green horn coming. I'll bet he has news of Patsy, my lost son, for me." When he saw it was Patsy he called him the one who fell from heaven. We remained in Quebec a week and then went to Montreal and from there by boat to Hamilton. At Hamilton, we secured the horses which had come on the boat with us. We then drove to Guelph in one day. The roads there were good at the time. Our men helped to build the first railroad through Upper Canada for the G.T. Railway Company. From Guelph we moved up to West Luther as soon as the railroad was finished. Our neighbors were scarce at that time. I had fourteen children and I raised all of them in a cradle that looked like a sap trough. I have walked to Guelph several times, a distance of forty-five miles with no road, but the trees were chopped to mark the way for the travellers. Those were the good old days.